IDTechEx has exciting opportunities for applicants with a strong scientific background and a genuine interest in business to join us as a Technology Analyst.
As a Technology Analyst, you will assist companies large and small in understanding technically complex emerging technologies along with the associated commercial challenges and opportunities. Your analysis, forecasts, and insights will help our clients make strategic decisions on emerging technologies, such as bringing them the laboratory to reality.
With a Science or Engineering degree, you will help grow our expertise in topics such as advanced materials, 5G, green technologies, 3D Printing, sensors, robotics, displays, semiconductors, future mobility, energy, electronics and others (based on your background and interests), assessing leading edge developments.
The analyst(s) we hire will help us evolve our understanding of these markets; be involved in delivering solutions for our clients; work with our marketing team to promote our research on this topic; and formulate deep insights about the future of this and related industries.
You will be given client-facing responsibilities from the very start and there will be ample opportunity to gain experience in business development and marketing activities.
There will be international travel (when safe to do so!) - to learn and interpret the latest developments in your domain; to meet customers and innovative companies; to disseminate your knowledge and to promote IDTechEx at a global level.
IDTechEx will facilitate your rapid personal and professional growth, including opportunities to develop towards project and people management.
Successful applicants who progress through the company will have the potential to become recognised as a leading, trusted name in the industry to enable them to become the reference point for companies seeking business intelligence and/or commercialisation advice.
This role is a great opportunity to apply your technical knowledge and understanding to the world outside the laboratory, and to develop significant insight into how emerging technologies are commercialised.
- Assess the commercial opportunities of emerging technologies. This will involve conducting detailed research via interviews with innovators and adopters (by telephone and face-to-face), event attendance, patent analysis, tracking global trends and more.
- Utilize information acquired via interviews to write profiles of companies, assessing their technologies (e.g., readiness levels), and whether there would be a market need for their solution.
- Compile research into articles and reports covering technology assessments, market insights, analysis of market opportunities, and forecasts.
- Provide custom research to clients for their specific consulting requests, such as accessing the market opportunities for their technology.
- Support colleagues in business development by demonstrating your technical/commercial knowledge to potential clients and helping to determine customer research needs.
- Actively promote IDTechEx and your own research by writing enticing articles summarizing your research, delivering webinars, conducting video interviews, answering questions from media, delivering presentations and helping to develop infographics.
- Represent IDTechEx at international events and by visiting organizations, from introducing the company and what we do to presenting your research findings and strategic insights.
- Assist other aspects of the business including training programs and developing topic-specific strategies.
- Be proactive in helping our business development team win new opportunities and being a champion for the company.
- A strong record of academic achievement, including A/A* A-Level Mathematics and an Undergraduate/Master's degree in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Engineering or other relevant subjects, ideally from a top UK or internationally ranked university. A PhD is desirable but not essential.
- Some technical/commercial experience is preferable, demonstrating skills such as engaging with customers/potential customers, meeting objectives, demonstration of commercial acumen etc.
- A desire and drive to continuously learn about technology innovations, their real-world applications, market status and player activities.
- Excellent ability to seek out and present compelling new information and articulate an analysis both verbally and in writing, with accompanying visuals (charts, infographics, etc.)
- Be comfortable with calling and talking to many people in a business to business environment. Effectively question interviewees to compile research useful in assessing a particular technology or industry.
- Excellent capability to distill significant levels of information from multiple sources into clear, relevant analysis and conclusions.
- Strong attention to detail and quantitative problem-solving skills.
- Experienced user of MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Must be confident in giving technical presentations in front of an audience.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as having a collaborative attitude to your work. You will be expected to be part of a team and coach and motivate others when necessary.
- You must be able to commit to regular travel.
- In addition to strong English language skills, it would be advantageous, but not necessary, to be proficient in another language, in particular Chinese, German, Japanese or Korean.
Why become an IDTechEx analyst?
IDTechEx sets itself apart by taking an analyst-centric approach. We invest considerably in our analysts and provide rapid personal and professional growth. Through activities such as delivering briefings to our customers, speaking at conferences, and interviews with journalists, IDTechEx analysts are developed into leading and trusted names in the industry.
Key benefits of becoming an IDTechEx analyst:
- Work at the forefront of technology innovation, with great scope to identify and engage with new topics
- Direct contact from an early stage with leading global organizations: your work will make a difference
- Investment in your training including management, leadership, presentation skills, software proficiency
- International travel to East Asia, Europe and US (when safe to do so!)
- Varied work: engage with clients, leading technology developers, write assessments, present and promote your work
- Clear promotion path
- Competitive pay with discretionary bonuses
- Discretionary benefits including life insurance and private medical insurance
- Pension scheme with employer contribution
The position will be based in England, with the candidate initially working from home. IDTechEx has bases in the UK (Cambridge), Germany (Munich), Japan (Tokyo) and United States (Boston) and we may consider candidates who would be based in Germany, Japan and the USA but our preference is recruitment in the UK.